Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cherish your Tailbone

There are certain parts of one's body that we often overlook, yet have a very important function to the body as a whole. Like your baby toe for example. We don't really know why it's there, it just kindof sits on the end of your foot along with the rest of the toes, just along for the ride because it has nothing better to do. It can't really function on its own, unlike some of it's cousins that can actually pick stuff up and even write and paint if you take the time to train them. The baby toe is just plain uncooperative, but it does provide a vital function in the game of "Little Piggy" and you'd probably fall over if it wasn't there.

Not the case with your tailbone. It goes along all day, and most times you don't even realise it's there. However, when you hurt it, you quickly realise how many things your body actually uses it for. Last Sunday when I was working in the barn I fell and landed on my tailbone; not a very pleasant experience (but I didn't swear!). It's not too painful if I keep myself moving around, but I have to be careful not to put too much pressure on it, which is difficult if you want to, say, carry a bag of groceries into the house and your gym bag in the same hand while trying to unlock your door. Anyway, Monday is my upper body workout day, so you wouldn't think that would put a lot of stress on a tailbone. But it plays a very important roll when you're sitting and trying to move a dumbbell into place. Tuesday was a running day, but I decided to walk instead to try to keep some pressure off it. Wednesday is leg day. Again, I tried not to put pressure on it, but it's very difficult to do squats without using your tailbone.

So, today as long as I keep moving, I shouldn't be in too much pain. But, I heartily recommend not hurting your tailbone. Just a suggestion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Good advice. :)
-Postie

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home