Friday, March 31, 2006

All You Had To Do Was Ask

The Growth Group that I attend is studying prayer throughout the Bible. Last night we were studying the first Chapter of 1 Samuel, where Hannah asks for a child. Hannah is a broken and hurt woman, because she does not have a child. While it may be difficult for our generation to understand this, it was a big deal then. But that's not my point here; look at how she prays:

10 In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the LORD. 11 And she made a vow, saying, "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head."

12 As she kept on praying to the LORD, Eli observed her mouth. 13 Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk 14 and said to her, "How long will you keep on getting drunk? Get rid of your wine."

15 "Not so, my lord," Hannah replied, "I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the LORD. 16 Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief."17 Eli answered, "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him."

18 She said, "May your servant find favor in your eyes." Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast.

19 Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the LORD and then went back to their home at Ramah. Elkanah lay with Hannah his wife, and the LORD remembered her. 20 So in the course of time Hannah conceived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, [c] saying, "Because I asked the LORD for him."

(NIV,1 Samuel 1:10-20)

Our group leader used an example last night where God has great plans and great gifts for us, and all we have to do is ask. It's like God says "This is what I have for you, but this is what you asked for. This is what you got, which is ok, but look at what you could have had if you had only asked." I've noticed I have a tendency to say, "Lord, here is my life, do with it what you will." It's like I'm taking a back seat, ready to sit along for the ride. But look at Hannah in these verses: She was at the end of her rope, she had nothing left, nothing she could do. Only when she fully gave up her life and will to God could he do great things for her, and all she had to do was ask. And after she asked, her faith was so strong that she knew God would come through for her: "Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast." v18.

In my prayers last night I found myself conflicted; I knew that I had to ask God, but I didn't know what to ask for. What does God want for my life? What do I want for it? Ideally they are the same thing, but in order to get to that point, I have to know what I want. It's kindof like when someone asks you what you want for your birthday or Christmas, and you respond "I dunno, stuff?"

How long have we struggled from day to day, only because we have not asked? How often have we missed out on God's great opportunities, because we haven't wanted to bother God with our trifles? Is anything not worth taking to God?

"Oh, what peace we often forfeight; Oh what needles pain we bear! All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!"

Sorry for my rambling, but my point is this: just ask. That's it. All you have to do is ask. Right now. It only takes a moment. Just do it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home