Monday, April 10, 2006

Independent Restaurants

I've discovered another thing I really enjoy about the country: the lack of chain restaurants. Sure Hanover has had a MacDonald's for years, and we're seeing the influx of others like Harvey's/Swiss Chalet, A&W, Tim Horton's, and most recently Crabby Joe's in Hanover, but for the most part all we've had are the locally owned and operated, each with their own charm. (Tim Horton's has come to town too, and as much as I like it, the MacDonald Bakery in Durham still had better doughnuts).

Sure you get some with bland food and small servings, but there are also lots of great ones that feature a home cooked meal and support local producers. And the specials always come with dessert, which usually means homemade pie.

Case in point: last night my parents and I went to The Redwood, which is a little restaurant on the edge of Clifford, which is in between Harriston and Mount Forest, or about an hour north of Kitchener for the city folk. Anyway, the Redwood isn't too fancy, it's dining room likely not much bigger than 125G. But the food was so good; far better than anything I've ever had in Hamilton. We all had the turkey dinner, consisting of a good helping of roasted turkey, stuffing, your choice of potato, a fresh roll and coleslaw. The plate was heaped (yes, it was HEAPED) that the coleslaw and roll had to be served on the side. I was full before I got half way through the plate. And then a choice of pie for dessert. There was Apple, Dutch Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, Raspberry Cream, pecan, raisin, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream . . . oh my! I think I could have rolled home after all that food.

So next time your out traveling, instead of the same old chain food, try to find a small independent. You likely won't regret it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home