Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Candied Carrots and Tortilla Chips

I’m posting two recipes today, just because I want to, or, because I haven’t posted anything for the past couple days. Whatever, it doesn’t really matter.

The first is for Candied Carrots. I had this at a little restaurant in Durham (the town, not the region that copied the name; but that’s another story). The restaurant is long since closed, but was good none the less. It offered a good range of what I would call ethnic foods not normally found in the local restaurants, and for a reasonable price. I like this recipe because it features my favourite spice (garlic) and offers an alternative to butter on the vegetables. I don’t have an issue with butter; I never use margarine or vegetable oils and prefer not to have to deal with heart disease when I’m 40 (which margarine and vegetable oils have been linked to). It also features honey; while honey is a sweetener, it is a healthy alternative to refined sugars. If you want to know just how good honey actually is for you, just let me know and I’ll get the details from my brother.

The second recipe is something I use for a snack. I like corn chips, but sometimes I prefer to have a snack that isn’t nearly as greasy. I’ve only found the corn flour part of it in Fortinos, and even then it only had Spanish and French writing. I’ve added the whole wheat flour myself because I have a hard time getting the dough to the right consistency for rolling it out.

Candied Carrots

  • Ÿ 2-3 cups carrots
  • Ÿ 2-3 tbs honey
  • Ÿ 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced

In a small bowl, combine honey and garlic. Microwave for about 5 seconds, stir and set aside to season. Steam or boil carrots to desired tenderness, drain. Drizzle honey mixture overtop, toss and serve.

Variation: Try replacing the honey with maple syrup (the real stuff, not the “Table Syrup” from the grocery store.

Tortilla Chips

  • Ÿ ½ cup corn flour
  • Ÿ whole wheat flour
  • Ÿ 1 tbs olive oil
  • Ÿ cold water

Mix together corn flour and olive oil. Sprinkle in cold water and add some whole wheat flour to get desired consistency. The dough should be dry, but hold to a ball when squeezed. Roll out dough on a floured surface until it is as thin as you want your chip to be. If the dough is falling apart, add a bit more liquid. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour.

Fry chip in a dry pan (no oil) until both sides are browned. Place in warm oven (about 250 degrees) until the rest of the chips are fried. This will crisp the chips up a bit more.

Variation 1: To make a tortilla or flat bread, don’t roll the dough quite as thin. Your tortilla will be softer. Be careful no to overcook, and place the finished wraps on a plate covered with a clean tea towel rather than in the warm oven.

Variation 2: Try adding different spices, sundried tomatoes, or cheese to the dough for a different flavour.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home