Monday, June 12, 2006

Basil Pesto

I like food. I like to cook. I like to eat. This is most likely the reason I started university overweight @ 200lbs+. However, I have made efforts to eat more healthy (or “clean”). This has led me to experiment with cooking. While not always healthy, I have taken some of my favourite foods and tried to make them somewhat better for me (although it’s not always possible, and sometimes just plain wrong too).

So, in my journey, I though I’d share some of the things I’ve tried with you, both good and bad. I’ll even post the recipes, giving credit where I can (which isn’t always possible because I like to cook “out of my head.”)

And so, first on the list:

Basil Pesto

  • Approx. 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • olive oil
  • 2 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
  • optional additions
    • pine nuts/almonds
    • oregano
    • parsley
    • parmesan cheese

Place all ingredients in food processor (or blender) and chop thoroughly, adding just enough olive oil to turn mixture into a thick place. Stir into warm pasta. Good on it’s own, or as a side dish to lemon grilled chicken or a grilled steak.

Variation 1:

  • cool and toss in a couple tablespoons of garlic vinegar (or any other complementary seasoned vinegar) for a nice salad. Try adding green onions, chives, green peppers or a chopped tomato

Variation 2:

  • Chop two fresh tomatoes and toss with pesto and a tablespoon of garlic vinegar. Makes a nice summer tomato salad. Serve with some grilled chicken or a pork chop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home